- H Network
- Dev't Trust
- A - Z
Elinor Lupton Centre
The Elinor Lupton Centre is a grade 2 listed building located on the summit of a hill at the junction of Headingley Lane and Richmond Road to the west of the main Leeds Girls High School Site. The school purchased the building for £230,000 in 1986. That was when it acquired its current name and current use as a theatre and music rooms.
The centre was built in the Neo-Grec style and is clad in Portland stone. It has three floors including a basement. The main entrance to the building from Headingley Lane opens into a foyer which affords access to a theatre auditorium. To either side of the entrance to the auditorium are hung two paintings showing stylishly dressed worshippers outside the building when it was still a church.
The building’s design is the result of a nationwide competition which was won by William Peel Schofield of the Leeds firm of architects Schofield and Berry.
The Sunday School was built first and the first service was held in it in October 1914. The outbreak of the First World War delayed the start of construction of the church itself, and services therefore continued in the new Sunday School. Then in 1923, tenders were invited for the erection of the auditorium, and this part of the building was finished in December 1925. Towards the end of 1932 it was decided to complete the building and in October 1934, work was finally finished. The total cost of the church was over £38,000.