- H Network
- Dev't Trust
- A - Z
Aims and Principles of headingley.org
The ethos of this web site is the open, free sharing of information.
The site is not for commercial use. Please see guidelines on commercial use
|build community resilience||connecting local people together in local networks|
|provide topical information||Headingley's Upcoming Events diary, A-Z of Community Activities, chat@headingley emailing list|
|provide information resources||news archive, initiatives, campaigns, links, contacts, sources of help. Content is indexed|
|be the central reference point for community information||collect all the Community information that is available|
|show what our community is||positive information is given precedence, diverse views are encouraged|
|give residents a voice||residents can post their own content, residents are invited into a conversation with the community|
|encourage networking among residents||eMailing lists, social networking features on the site, residents can be contacted through the site|
|maintain an open, free, civic space||content is freely available, membership is open to all|
|welcome new residents||a clear welcome message is linked to the home page, make it easy for new residents to link up|
|encourage community-mindedness||raise awareness of the importance of information, encourage residents to share information by posting and editing their own content|
|support residents||reduce isolation though connecting residents, encourage mutual support, provide information on sources of support|
|show that our community can thrive||spread the news of successes in standing up to the pressures against our community|
|protect the communtiy from being used||residents' views are given precedence over company, business and corporate views|
|support Residents' Associations||RAs can maintain a clusters of pages, with their own home page. RA structures are integrated into the site, and indexed|
|provide security and privacy||manual approval of members, permission levels, residents' information is only visible to residents|
The content is provided by the community and is a community achievement. This web site is a product of the long-term community in Headingley.
The content of this web site is protected by a Community Ethos Licence = CEL
Community Ethos Licence
- We believe in balanced, sustainable, long-term communities.
- We believe that a long-term community is a place where links between people are acted on, and renewed every day (not a place where nobody knows the neighbours).
- We believe these links are a matter of give and take. It is not all take. Being part of a long-term community invites each of us into participation.
- We believe everyone has something to offer to the community.
- We believe a community is the stronger for having more links, more often acted on, held at more levels, in as diverse a way as possible.
- We believe a community is a place for all ages, all races, all religions. No one group has the right to swamp another or drive another out.
- We believe a certain proportion of guests is good for a community. We wish to go on hosting a sustainable proportion of students, as we have for years.
- We believe the only people who can speak for the long-term community are the long-term residents themselves.
- We believe our lives are the richer for being part of a community.